“I take photos to make people feel empowered.”
Most of us feel intensely self-conscious, and worry about all the bits we dislike about ourselves, the moment someone points a camera at us.
Photography can often feel like it’s something being done to us, whether we want it or not.
There’s a huge power imbalance with photography – the person with the camera seems to hold all the power. They can make us look amazing or ridiculous, and this makes us feel tense and defensive the moment a camera appears.
We put on our best “camera face” and desperately hope it won’t be as awful this time, while fearing it probably will.
What we really want is to look strong, playful, intelligent, friendly or authoritative – and, if we’re honest about it, just a little bit cool.
Well I’m on your side. I think you should look the way you would love to. I want you to feel like the hero or heroine of your own photo shoot.
So we collaborate!
- We meet up over coffee to discuss and explore ideas and possibilities.
- We draw up a plan of what, where, who, how much and when
- On the day of the shoot I tether the camera to a laptop or tablet so as I take the photo you can instantly see how it looks.
- This allows me to train you in front of the camera: you can see what happens if you drop your shoulder, move your head, or I change the angle of the lighting
- Pretty quickly you start to relax and the photos of you just get better and better.
- You learn how to never be frightened of the camera again
I have a love for the cinematic and theatrical – storytelling photography.
Based in Castle Douglas, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland, we have every type of landscape imaginable within 30 miles – from sandy beaches to rocky cliffs to arable land to forests, lochs, mountains, standing stones and ruined castles. So we have the backdrop for almost any story you want.
But I also have a love for making people feel good about themselves.
My goal is to ensure you leave the photo session feeling better about who you are than when you arrived.
So I back that up with a cast iron guarantee – if you are in any way less than thrilled with your photos, then we delete them all and you will not be charged a penny for my time.
Find out more
To arrange a no-obligation meeting to explore ideas and possibilities, then use the contact details at the base of this page, or fill in the form on the contact page
TEL: +44 (0)797 196 9953
Kim Ayres Photography | 30 King Street | Castle Douglas | Dumfries and Galloway | DG7 1AA | Scotland